Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Scooter is Working on new skills

Hi All, I'm sitting on my porch where I have my desk away from home. I hear a tap tap tapping on the palm tree right in front of me. I see a woodpecker working his way down the tree tapping away. I haven't seen a woodpecker in the Caribbean before but apparently they are here too. I take this to be an excellent sign that we will have a good day! We find JoJo just leaving the "Big Blue" catamaran, White Sands. We motor past JoJo and he gets in behind our boat. We take him to Leeward where he branches off going toward the reef. I slip in and see the remora is still fastened to his peduncle. There are numerous marks where the little rascal has unhitched and hitched. As he crosses over the reef and into the deep blue, we lose sight of JoJo. We decide to continue North up the coast outside the reef. I'm searching the calm, dark blue water for dorsals. None to be found. Once we get to Pine Cay, we turn in through the cut in the reef. Almost immediately, I see two dorsals. They have heard our boat and are speeding our way! How cool is that to see your dolphin friends hurrying over to greet you! I get in and Scooter swims all around me in circles clearly happy to see me! She takes minute to nurse from her ever so patient Mom ,Bo.

Scooter Nurses from her patient Mom BO from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

Scooter then starts working on her spy hopping skills as she pokes her head out of the water then falls over backward. Just like her brother Whizzer, she's so playful. If I lag behind she comes back to circle me. During this play time, one of the "Wake-to-Wake" boats joins us. They launch their drone and video the action from above. Hopefully, I'll get to see their aerial video. We come upon a barracuda, perhaps the same one I saw the other day right here. Bo watches intently as Scooter goes to investigate. It's so interesting watching how Bo teaches her calf about the other creatures in the ocean. I got footage of the barracuda but ran out of time to publish! I was in with the dolphins for many hours and the sun was setting. Time to go home and hope my camera worked! John spent many hours working on it because the whole thing froze up!

Scooter working on Spy Hop skills from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment