Tuesday, November 20, 2018

SCOOTER

Hi All, I'm indebted to the yellow boats today! John looks behind us just as we are passing Leeward and notices two yellow boats stopped. We turn around to find JoJo in front of their boats. He wasn't putting on his usual JoJo show so I figure the remora is still hitching a ride and making him crazy. He comes right behind our boat for a ride toward Ocean Club. Once he branches off I slip and sure enough that remora is still there. If you look closely at the video you can see the marks where it attached itself to JoJo then moved to another spot. JoJo comes by to greet me but moves on not waiting. I really feel the remora is affecting his behavior (do you blame him!)John spots more dorsals and Bo and her young calf show up. I try to follow JoJo but he heads at speed in the opposite direction. Maybe Bo isn't so keen on her calf swimming where there is a remora attaching itself to dolphins. Just speculation on my part. We stay with them as they head up the coast toward Beaches and beyond. The calf is rocketing past me like a small torpedo. I think she's a female and the name Scooter seems to fit! She seems to like to whistle. She emits lots of bubble streams as she whips around. Both Bo and Scooter are totally cool with my being there. When I got out, Scooter came spy hoping and pointing her cute little rostrum out of the water right toward the boat! With an invitation like that I had to get back in! Various boats came by to see the new calf. Most were respectful and kept their distance. One however herded them then drove right over them. One hobie sailed right over them. Please if you are out on the water be respectful. Bo wants to show her calf off but not get her hurt!

JoJo and remora from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

Scooter and Bo from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment