Thursday, February 22, 2018

How Lucky Am I

Hi All, With the wind between 20 and 30 knots I'm not totally looking forward to a day of boating. The big tour boats sit way above the waves and don't bounce around as much as our boat. I'm not complaining, just sayin. We make a pass for the second time by the resorts. We have escaped two major rain showers and it looks like there's another one coming as we bounce our way toward Leeward. I mention to John that if we don't see a dorsal lets call it a day. We have friends coming over tonight and the condo could stand a cleaning. Not To Be! We see two dorsals heading our way. I get in expecting to find JoJo and Snipper. JoJo comes through the chalky murky water. I can barely see him. I lose sight of him and am about to climb back in Spy Hop when I see two dolphins coming toward me. Thinking it was Snipper and JoJo I hurry over. I notice the fluke with the slight tear and realize it's Bo. Apparently there are three dolphins in the murky water. Bo is startled by my fast aggressive approach (actually more of a Mrs Magoo moment because I can't see anything). She slaps her tail in my face. Oops, too close too fast. I'm worrying I've annoyed her. JoJo comes right up as if to reassure me all's okay. Soon Snipper and Bo come by, Bo makes her signature whistle as she passes me as if to say this is how you approach. She is a wealth of dolphin etiquette. I lose sight of them in the murk and get into Spy Hop. (When watching this video turn up the volume and you can hear Bo's signature whistle. Watch for the bubbles coming out her blow hole at the same time.) There's an annoying motor boat whizzing around dragging a red inflatable called Big Mabel. He's dragging the inflatable past and over the dolphins. The dolphins are not interested and dive deep. I'm now shivering on the boat still sort of thinking of the warm condo. All three dolphins surface right together near the boat. First JoJo spy hops looking right up in the boat; then Snipper and Bo spy hop looking expectantly into the boat . This is an invitation I can't refuse. I get in with all three and we make our way into clear water as we come to Leeward.

JoJo Snipper and Bo from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

There are lots of tour boats coming by but Bo and Snipper aren't one bit interested. They clearly want me to join them as they head toward the bleached out reef. They love each other so much as they snuggle and play flipper footsie. I keep noticing how wide Bo is getting. I'm more and more convinced she's pregnant. They disappear briefly and as I look up, I see a dolphin in the distance porpoise way into the air. Shortly, there after they are all close to me again. Hmm did one swim off and leap or was this a dolphin from across the reef? The water is clear and the dolphins are having so much fun. My video got a little long but I just couldn't take any more out!

Bo and Snipper in Reef from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment