Thursday, February 15, 2018

Valentines Day Dolphin Style

Hi All, The wind is still here and perhaps even a bit stronger. This will not stop us from our whale watching attempts. We head out to what looks like quiet water (not!) past the channel markers to drop in the hydrophone. We hear whales but not as loud as yesterday. After scanning the horizon trying to see a spout, we start to head up toward Pine Cay which is directly into the waves. A whale breaches not far off and we head in its direction. If the water weren't so rough getting to them would be easy. The big waves make the going wet and slow. Once there we see two whales. They travel along the surface for a short distance. Their white pecs just below the surface make the water look a stunning turquoise as they swim along. We are hoping to see a pec display but why would they, when they can dive deep below the rough surface to where the water is quiet and peaceful. A few more blows and they are gone. We bounce our way back inside the reef hoping to find dolphins. We haven't been along Pine Cay for a few days and I'm sort of hoping we don't see anyone on Grace Bay so we can go up there. It's heading right into the wind again but I love looking at the pristine beaches as we travel North. There's a little shelter from the wind near the Meridian Club, the prefect place to break out lunch. Most of which is left overs from a great meal at Hemingways. With the exception of course of John's PB and J! Quentin was playing there last night which did lead to some wild dancing:) Just as I'm topping off my lunch with a giraffe from a box of animal crackers, I see a dolphin heading our way. I hurry to get in wondering who is coming to join us. It's murky thanks to all the wind but I follow the signals from the boat and finally get to a beautiful dolphin with no markings except one small blemish on her left side below her dorsal. I'm pretty sure it's Bo but she's a bit shy at first about my swimming with her. Luckily, we are swimming with the waves and I can keep up as she swims toward Half Moon Beach. She speeds up a little and I get back in the boat not wanting to wear down my scooter especially when she's staying a few dolphin lengths ahead of me. Once we get to Half Moon Beach, she slows down and entertains a few passing boats. She visits them then comes right back beside Spy Hop. Now's my chance to swim with her again. I get in and she is traveling in a small circle at the bottom. She's fine with my staying right above her. My mind is racing. Is she in a holding pattern waiting for others? It certainly appears that way. I get out again to save the last scooter. I'm now on my second one. We hear from a boat captain that he has seen dolphins at the otherr end of Pine Cay. John wonders if she'll stay with Spy Hop if we maKe our way back North along the Pine Cay coast. We try it and she parallels our boat as we slowly head back. I look off toward the reef and see two dorsals. I ask John to take me over. I see JoJo and Snipper heading our way. I figure Bo will join up shortly. JoJo comes over and appears to show me his puncture wound. I don't think there's any change from yesterday. Snipper and JoJo are very affectionate. When Bo arrives, Snipper and Bo seem over joyed to see each other with a lot of touching and flipper footsie. There is lots of dolphin love on this Valentine's Day.

Bo is Waiting to meet JoJo and Snipper from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

Bo Meets up with JoJo and Snipper from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment