Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Amazing day!

Hi All, Today makes up for all the rainy cold days! We head out of Leeward and I ask John to step on it. We are off to Seven Stars to pick up Tricia a friend from home. The last thing I want to happen is to find JoJo before we pick her up because he might not be heading her way! She has met JoJo before and is really hoping to see him again today. Tricia is waiting on the beach, we stop and she gets in. We make our circle past Beaches and as we are heading back by Club Med I see a single dorsal. JoJo comes to the boat then branches off toward Ocean Club then back to Spy Hop. I get in and he follows me all the way to Coral House. John and Trish are yelling something to me and I figure another dolphin has shown up. This dolphin acts just like Whizzer. It is really murky and I think it is Whizzer except he isn't interacting with JoJo. Usually they are stroking each other and staying quite close to one another. In any case whoever it is seems to like me. Like Whizzer he flys around me in circles then porpoises out of the water. JoJo comes to check, I think to make sure things arent getting to out of control. I get in the boat, John takes off with the dolphin riding the bow wave and JoJo in the wake! As we get close to Leeward, I get in again. I am having lots of exciting interaction with this dolphin. I get a closer look and think - hmmm looks like female anatomy! There is also a blemish on the left side under the dorsal. Who is this? Now a bunch of tour boats are coming over. JoJo goes over to entertain one of them and this dolphin keeps playing with me.

And Then there were Three! from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

More tour boats show up and start putting people in the water. JoJo leaves them behind and comes right to me as I head away from them. The other dolphin stays with me as well. We leave the tour boats behind with all their swimmers flailing around wondering what happened to the dolphins. I've been swimming with these dolphins for twenty years and I think they feel I'm one of them. Perhaps some of the tour Captains think it's a "swim with the dolphins" program but, the dolphins don't! Once I get back in Spy Hop we all head toward Pine Cay. They occasionally take a ride in the wake then branch off. JoJo I'm sure is hoping the other dolphin will stay with him in the wake. I'm wondering if maybe we will see other dolphins once we reach Pine Cay. As we approach the Meridian Club at the end of Pine Cay, we see Snipper coming our way. I get in and swim with all three. Snipper is pretty friendly letting me swim with him. I am now cold and pretty pooped from swimming for so long. I head toward Spy Hop and start handing my water scooter to John when he says "look behind you". There's JoJo and Snipper who clearly don't want me to get out! Well, cold or not who can turn down an invitation from their favorite dolphins! Now I'm on my second scooter and my camera's almost out of battery but, how lucky am I!

Don't Leave from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

The water is very clear and I get a good look at the anatomy of the "new" dolphn. Its a she! There was another dolphin with that same blemish around in 2013. I called her Julia and she had a calf I called Frisky. The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was no stroking or flipper footsie with JoJo or Snipper, normal behavior for Whizzer and JoJo. Bo interacts with me but not in this way. It certainly is easier when they have distinctive marks like JoJo and Snipper! Julia has been fishing successfully all along and is still at it as we reeach the upper end of Pine Cay. She takes off after a fish and comes back to check on me. I notice a trunk fish and know she'll want to check it out. She chases it around and comes by me sonaring loudly. I left that in the video, turn up your volume! We have now been with them since 9am and its almost 3pm. Trisha's husband may never let her come out again if we don't get her back!

Julia Chases Trunk Fish from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment