Friday, January 26, 2018

The Whales are Coming, The Whales Are Coming!

Hi All, It is supposed to be a great day; a perfect day to go out over the reef and look for whales. We go out Seller's Cut and drop the hydrophone in the water but don't hear anything. After looking for dolphins on the way to Pine Cay, we go out across the reef again. The wind is picking up unfortunately but we venture out anyway. This time when dropping in the hydrophone, we hear lots of, as I call it, "whale chatting". They seem to be in constant communication with each other. This is different than when the males sing. Their songs are more than likely to impress females. All the whales in this ocean sing the same song. Each year they change it a little and all of them know the changes! We didn't see any whales but we know they are here! We come back inside the reef and find JoJo, Snipper and Julia. They are all happy to let me swim with them. I think Snipper is over my playing with his toys! There have been times when I unknowingly have annoyed one of the dolphins. They have let me know they were displeased but they don't hold a grudge. I have learned that they don't want me taking a fish (not that I meant to!)They are fine with me watching them play with marine toys but dont want me to touch their toys! I have had the priveledge to observe so much dolphin behavior and I am so grateful. The same tour boat that always messes things up came by and dropped a bevy of females all screaming and jumping into the water. The dolphins scattered. Snipper and Julia let me stay with them as they hurried off on the other side of our boat. Even JoJo hurried away. If someone wishes to get in the water, a little respect would be appreciated! We went from Leeward to Seven Stars and I got to swim with them most of the way. Many yellow tour boats came by to take a look as we traveled along. They are always very respectful of the dolphins. Occasionally I hear "she's the dolphin trainer"! Let me get this straight! I'm not their trainer. Nor do I feed them or touch them. They are my friends and I love them. They seem to like me too! I am so lucky that I have been accepted into the dolphin community. JoJo and I have been swimming together for 20 years. I do consider him to be a best friend. He has come to my rescue a few times. Many years ago a dolphin was threatening me and JoJo appeared from no where and swam very close under me toward the dolphin. The other dolphin left. There is no doubt in my mind that JoJo told him I was his friend and leave me alone! Today I did a deep (for me) free dive and stayed a little too long. As I swam to the surface gasping JoJo came right up to me. I think he was concerned. Unfortunately, my brand new camera malfunctioned (broke) so the really great footage I thought I was taking of all three dolphins in crystal clear water, didn't come out. I did put a video in from the other day of JoJo (the most handsome dolphin!) who is looking at me then following me which is tricky to film! Later in the evening we met our good friends from home for dinner at Hemmingway's for dinner. Hemmingway's is the restaurant that has bell they ring if you see JoJo! We had a great meal and danced to Quentin Dean, my favorite musician. The really cool part about dinner was a yellow crowned night heron that perched very close to our table and stayed there all night! Apparently he comes every night! That is reason enough to go there for dinner and sit out on the deck!

The Most Handsome Dolphin of All from Jay Sargent on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment